Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Vermont is the canary in the coalmine folks




And the hits just keep on coming. Vermont, with the population roughly that of Nashville, is spending more federal money, $167.9 million, than any other state in the nation on uninsured residents, according to Newsweek calculations based on data from the Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services (CMS) and the U.S. Census Bureau.

And that’s not all. Going forward, the estimate cost of Vermont’s highly vaulted single payer system is somewhere north of $2.2 billion ANNUALLY! As Vermont Watchdog reported:

Condon, a Democrat from Colchester, said he thinks a single-payer system in Vermont would “cost more” than a couple of previous estimates. Those estimates pegged the cost for single-payer at anywhere from $1.6 billion to $2.2 billion annually.
That’s at least $3,500/resident increase ANNUALLY by my calculations. The money shot? Condon said the most obviously honest thing possible (emphasis mine):

It’s a government program [so] I think it’s going to cost more than that. Given that, I think it would be in the best interest of Vermonters to redirect our energies away from single-payer health care to trying to improve the system we’re in now,” Condon added.
No kidding? Government = higher costs, who would have thunk it? Well me for one.

2 comments:

  1. Government is so clumsy and inefficient! What a good example. I have enjoyed your writings. I believe you should run for Congress. Keep going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, welcome back and thanks for your comment. As for congress I don't think I have the stomach for the tom-foolery that goes on there. I think I'll just continue to throw cheap shots from the peanut gallery! It's much more fun.

      Delete

I will leave it up to those leaving comments to moderate themselves. Keep in mind that this site is PG and comments should reflect this.